- Project Leader: Janet Umlauf 219-956-4945
- ALL completed record sheets must be turned in to the 4-H Club leader by July 8, and must be securely attached in the green "Indiana 4-H Club Member's Record Book." If you are performing a recital, record sheets are due at judging, if it's prior to July 1st.
- If any part of your exhibit is on a poster, it must follow the poster rules. It is REQUIRED that all posters, notebooks, and display boards include a reference list indicating where information was obtained, giving credit to the original author, to complete the 4-H member's exhibit. This reference list should/might include website links, people and professionals interviewed, books, magazines, etc. It is recommended this reference list be attached to the back of a poster or display board, be the last page of a notebook, or included as a part of the display visible to the public. A judge is not to discredit an exhibit for the manner in which references are listed.
- All project participants are encouraged to participate in workshops to learn about music, instrumentation, and other musical education (including school band, chorus, etc.).
- Project participants may also participate in volunteer exhibitions at local nursing homes, festivals, or other events that will further provide the member opportunities to demonstrate their appreciation of music.
- Points will be deducted for appearance
- All instrumental and vocal performances are required to provide a musical score for the judge, with the measures numbered. The musical score must match exactly what you are performing. Original compositions will only be accepted if written music is provided.
- Those 4-H'ers with recorded accompaniment must bring their own tape/CD/DVD player.
- Members must choose a different piece to perform each year.
- Champions and reserve champions will be selected for each division in Recitals and for each division in posters. A Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion will be selected from the champions and reserve champions from vocal, instrumental, and posters.
Level A - grades 3-4
Level B - grades 5-6
Level C - grades 7-9
Level D - grades 10-12
Each 4-H member may choose one or both of the following activities for
completing the project
A. Recital of vocal and/or instrumental piece:
* Pieces for the recital are the choice of the member
* Each participant may perform ONE vocal and/or ONE
instrumental piece not to exceed THREE minutes in length.
All pieces must be played/sung without any repeats.If an
advanced student desires to perform a single lengthy piece,
they may perform/play it as written. There will be no time
penalties; however, each participant should be prepared for
the judge to stop them if their piece goes over the three
minute time limit.
* Recital will be judged by division in early July.
B. Poster: exhibit one of the following:
* History of a musical instrument
* Music theory
* Music appreciation
* Biography of a composer
* Other information that demonstrates an understanding of
music, instruments, or musical concepts