Each week we will share some fun activities for children pre-K – 5th grade around a theme. The Summer Fun Activity handout will include a variety of ideas :
- Get Exploring - STEM
- Get Active - Games
- get Creative - Art activity,
- Get Cooking - Food activity, and
- Book List.
Be sure to share photos of the activities that you tried on our Purdue Extension Health and Human Sciences Area 8 facebook page.
- Garden Summer Fun Activities (overall Gardening handout below)
- Gardening teaches Responsibility - checkout our TeRRiFiC youth Responsibility handout on how easy it is to demonstrate why Responsibility is important when pulling weeds.
- Hobo meal – recipe; video - This is a great way to have children add vegetables to their meal.
- Sandwich Bag Garden - Children learn how seeds germinate and begin to learn about the parts of a plant. Watch Sandwich Bag Garden video for details.
- Flowers Summer Fun Activities (overall Flowers handout below)
- Decoupage Flower Pot – Decorate a flower pot and plant a flower for a cute gift. This video gives you tips on how easy it is to decorate and decoupage a flower pot. See handout below for supply list and directions.
- “The Flower Man” by Mark Ludy is a wordless book about a man who begins to give flowers to people in a community. The flowers bring color that brightens up the community and the people as well. Here is a link to Mark Ludy telling about the book.
- Bugs Summer Fun Activities (overall Bugs handout below)
- Bug Bingo - 1 card for youth and 1 card for adults below.
- The life cycle of a butterfly. Video