Even though it is missing from the 2019 Handbook, Creative Writing is still available as a county only project. You can refer to the 2018 Handbook for this project’s requirements.
- This is a county project only. There is no competition at the State Fair
- Members should enroll in this project by grade as of January 1 of the exhibit year
- Standard label provided by Extension Office should be firmly attached to the lower right hand corner on the cover of the three ring binder
- Only one entry or exhibit is required to complete the Creative Writing Project.
Recommended that all entries are to be typed in Times New Roman Format, double-spaced and with a 12 point font. We assume 1 page is 250 words double spaced.
- All entries must be written since the previous year’s county fair
- All entries must be the exclusive work of the 4-H member; no group projects or collaborations should be submitted for judging.
- Each entry should have a title page (see project manual for example). The title page must be inside the three ring binder. An additional title page may be on the cover if desired.
- Each entry must be bound to keep it neat and clean during judging and displa at the 4-H fair. Members may use a 1/2 inch or 1 inch, three ring binder with plastic sleeves.
All grades– Harrison County 4-H Creative Writing Project Manual
Record sheet should be submitted in the member’s 4-H binder.
Level 1– Grades 3-5– Exhibit one of the following
- Short Story—up to two two pages
- Book Report– up to two pages
- Poem—10-20 lines of poetry
Level 2– Grades 6-8– Exhibit one of the following
- Essay– 500-1500 words
- Poem– 35-100 lines
- Short Story 500-1500 words
- Dramatic Script– 15 minute scene
Level 3—Grades 9-12– Exhibit one of the following
- Short Story—1500 –3000 words
- Poem—50-200 lines
- Critical Review– 500-1500 words
- Essay—500-1500 words
- Humor—500-1500 words
- Dramatic Script– 30 minute scene
- Biography or Autobiography– 1000-2000 Words