Crafts will be judged by grades.
- A Champion and Reserve Champion will be selected for each grade in each craft if the judge feels there is an article of enough merit to deserve the honor. State Fair entries will be determined by the judges. Champions and Reserve Champions will be selected from the honor group.
- Members may exhibit in more than one craft project (example: 1 exhibit in freelance, 1 exhibit in models).
- All items must be complete and ready for use; if a picture, it must be ready for hanging; needlecraft projects are to be ready for intended use; all other crafts are to be finished as required.
- Each year should be a new learning experience, therefore, more difficult exhibits should be made each year.
- Needlework may be placed in clear plastic bag for display.
- A pair or set is considered one article, i.e. mittens, slippers, salt and pepper shakers, pitcher and bowl, tablecloth and/or napkins.
- Projects not meeting division requirements will be lowered one ribbon grade.
- All crafts must have a 4-H Craft Information Card attached to the project.
- If multiple pieces make up the exhibit, a photograph of the complete exhibit should be attached to the exhibit so the total exhibit can be properly displayed.
- For safety purposes, any craft exhibit that resembles a sword, knife, or a look-a-like weapon will be judged but will not be displayed.
Attach a completed 4-H Craft Information Card to your project.
Original or Free Hand Art
- No specific requirements are suggested for any age category, but the 4-H member is expected to improve skills each year.
- You may choose one of the following mediums:
- Water Color
- Select or prepare background material suitable for the painting or drawing medium chosen.
- Select a subject appropriate for the background, your interest and experience. A beginner will want to start by selecting a simple subject.
- Experiment with equipment and techniques for using the medium selected.
- Experiment with matting and framing the finished picture. Consider color, texture, depth and weight.
- Prepare the picture for hanging, which can including matting, framing, wire on back for hanging and covering as needed.
- You will be judged by grade, and years of experience.
Exhibit: For all grade categories exhibit one picture; must be ready for hanging with wire on the back.