The realization that summer is over is almost here. Cooler weather, fall colors and all things pumpkin are right around the corner. With August coming to an end, we can look forward to September and celebrate “Fruits and Veggies – More Matters Month.” Eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and veggies can help you lower risk for heart disease, maintain a healthy weight and keep your body strong and active. Here are a few tips to adding more fruits and veggies every day:
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they’re ready for a quick, healthy snack.
- Challenge yourself and your family to try one new fruit or vegetable each week.
- Make fruit your dessert.
- When cooking on the grill, try a vegetable or fruit kabob.
- Start your day off right with breakfast smoothie made with low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and banana and spinach.
- Add color to your salads. The more colorful, the better.
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
Eating more fruits and vegetables is not only a fun thing to do, Small shifts in food choices over the course of a day, a week, or even a meal, can make a big difference in working towards a healthy eating pattern that works for you.
A delicious, easy and fun way to eat more veggies is to create your own pizza. Attached, you will find a step-by-step guide to creating your own homemade pizzas.