Attention Livestock Exhibitors: YQCA Leader-Led Classes are Available
YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals) is a state-wide requirement and an educational opportunity for 4-H livestock exhibitors. Through this exhibition requirement, Indiana 4-H members are being given the opportunity to learn about quality assurance as well as best animal management practices. Goals of the YQCA program include:
- Preparing youth to be ambassadors for animal agriculture in their role as livestock exhibitors.
- Treating animals from youth livestock programs with the utmost care.
- 4-H members contributing to a safe, wholesome food supply.
YQCA is an annual program that youth complete via online modules OR in-person trainings. There is a fee of $12 for online modules or a $3 fee for the in-person (leader led) trainings. Due to the $12 fee and the difficulty of the online module, it is our STRONG RECOMMENDATION that youth attend the in-person trainings if at all possible. They are only an hour long and your YQCA approval will be complete. This has replaced the PQA system, which is no longer honored in our Wabash County 4-H Program.
Due to Covid, masks are required and social distancing when possible.
Fortunately, Wabash County 4-H has fabulous local support for Ag education. Thanks to a donation through our Wabash County Ribbons of Support and Wabash County
4-H Council, YQCA in-person training courses will be offered at no charge by providing a coupon code during registration. Coupon codes can be obtained by contacting the Extension Office (see below for instructions) for Wabash County 4-H Members in 2021. Each of these classes will have limited number of seats available and will be on a first come, first serve basis.
Ways to obtain your free coupon code for registration:
- email your request to email@example.com
- stop by in person
- Please notify the Extension Office if you were issued a coupon and are NOT using it. It is valued at $3.00 and may be used for a future training.
Registration MUST be completed PRIOR to attending.
The following in-person training has been scheduled:
- Wednesday, January 27 at 5:30 pm at Heartland REMC Community Room - **(MUST REQUEST coupon by Monday, January 25th)
- Monday, February 15 at 7 pm at Heartland REMC Community Room
- Tuesday, March 23 at 7 pm at Heartland REMC Community Room
- Monday, April 5 at 10 am, 1 pm, and 5:30 pm at Heartland REMC Community Room
- Wednesday, May 5 at 7 pm at Heartland REMC Community Room
Your coupon with the code will be emailed to you after you notify the office in one of the ways above. Please note that Coupon codes will be emailed once a week on Wednesdays only with the exception of the January 27th date. Please plan your registration and classes accordingly.
YQCA information and instructions are listed below and will also be mailed with your Livestock paperwork in March. Please be watching your mail.
Pork Quality Assurance (PQA) program that swine members completed for State Fair Exhibition in the past was retired at the end of 2017. You will be required to obtain YQCA certification for 2021.
More information about YQCA is available at http://yqca.org
Animal tags will also be available for purchase at the YQCA in-person meetings. Please bring cash or check to purchase.