Purdue Extension in northeast Indiana will host a field day August 22 for farmers and agribusiness professionals highlighting research projects being done at the Northeast Purdue Agricultural Center (NEPAC), 4821 E. 400 S, Columbia City, IN.
The program begins with a series of morning workshops led by Purdue Extension experts. Workshop topics and presenters include:
* Mid-season field crop disease update: Darcy Telenko, field crops pathologist, Purdue Univ.
* Field crop insect pest update 2019: Christian Krupke, field crops entomologist, Purdue Univ.
* Status and Prospects for the 2019 Late Planted Corn Crop: Robert Nielsen, professor of agronomy, Purdue Univ.
* Soybean update: Shaun Casteel, associate professor of agronomy, Purdue Univ.
* Personal protective equipment: Ann Kline, Purdue Extension Educator
* NEPAC research plot update: Tom Richards, NEPAC farm
In the afternoon, participants will have the optional opportunities for a session on cover crops and nitrogen management for optimum corn production, by Shalamar Armstong, Purdue agronomy department. And, participants can conduct self-guided research plot tours, view an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) demonstration and discussion, and/or participate in health education and screenings offered by Lutheran Health Network.
Participants can receive private applicator recertification program credit for $10. Commercial applicator and crop adviser credits are anticipated to be available.
The event will run from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., with lunch provided. Admission is free, but registration is required to receive a meal. Event sponsors include Indiana Corn Marketing Council, Indiana Soybean Alliance, Ag Plus, Inc., AgVenture KcKillip Seeds, Agro-Chem, Inc., Alltech Crop Science, Baughman Tile, Beacon Credit Union, Black & Ramer Insurance, E.F. Rhoades & Sons, Inc., Farm Credit Mid-America, and Schlipf Precision Ag, Inc. Visit vendor booths and displays at field day for more information.
To sign up, contact the Whitley County Extension Office at 260-244-7615 to leave your name and phone number by Aug. 16. If you require auxiliary aids and services due to a disability, or have a special dietary need, please contact us by Aug. 1 at 260-244-7615.
For more information, visit the Purdue Extension Whitley County Website, http://extension.purdue.edu/whitley.